Monday, September 30, 2013

Things as They Are

 
 Yesterday I attended the Southern New Hampshire Doll Show and Sale where I saw an abundance of "most wonderful" dolls.  Much like the collection of dolls detailed in Phyllis McGinley's book The Most Wonderful Doll in the World, there were baby dolls and bride dolls, china dolls and dollhouse dolls, dolls with braids, dolls with bows, and dolls for every occasion. When faced with such a glorious array of creatures it's funny how you begin to pick them apart. Each was beautiful in its own way but it seemed whenever the decision to purchase one of them came into question suddenly the critic came out. One had such sparkly eyes but the mouth was painted far too bright. Another sported the most adorable dimples but sadly not the blond hair that was hoped for. Such dissatisfaction with details can unfortunately have disastrous side effects. Luckily I had recently read McGinley's book and knew better.
 
 
The Most Wonderful Doll in the World you see, is not really a book about a doll at all. Instead it's about Dulcy, a little girl who "found it hard to be satisfied with Things as They Are," and as a result forgoes playing with any of her dolls because not one of them can compare with her exaggerated memory of the misplaced Angela.
 
So who did I come home from the doll show with?

 
Well she didn't have a skating outfit...nor could she skate.
 

 
She could not sing or say "Mama" or wave her hand.
 

 
She did not come with pajamas, a bathrobe, a riding suit, leather shoes, gloves, or a purse and in fact the one little pinny she did have had definitely seen better days.
 
But...
 

 
...she did have a need for a home where she would be welcomed 
Just as She Is!
 
*****
 
In defense....let it be known!
 Technically I did not buy her at the doll show and thereby ignore item #1 of the previously revised Project Cottage Quest list which stated "Stop buying stuff."
No siree, my mom wanted to buy her for me and I merely let her.
Thanks Mom!!!  
 


10 comments:

  1. Cottages have dolls...I'm just saying.

    And really a BEACH cottage might be delightfully bare, and believe me I see the appeal and often desire this myself, but a well-lived in cottage has clutter. At least in my opinion.

    I also have been on a quest to simplify my life. I try to not to buy and consume. I often carry things around a store only to put them back and I find quite a satisfaction in that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am becoming a "store carrier" as well! We would be perfect shopping buddies, especially since I have no doubt we'd let each other cheat on occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very dear Nancy Ann doll, Natalie! I have a couple of these sweet little dolls from long ago. I think your Mom gifted you with the 'most wonderful doll in the world,' a gift from the heart :-)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Beth....you always share the sweetest sentiments!

      Delete
  4. I would say a wonderful choice in a doll...very sweet. I was recently gifted that book,and I intend to read it very soon :) The doll show sounds so fun....there is one coming up in my area...I hope to attend it...blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do read the book Shelley...it's quite delightful! I'll keep my fingers crossed you find a "most wonderful" treasure at your upcoming doll show. Happy Wishes, natalie jo

      Delete
  5. I love your book blogs, Natalie Jo. Some of them are books I know and have in my collection- held onto from childhood and added to to as a parent but kept because I use them all in my classroom from time to time, but some are new to me as I live in the UK.

    The Nancy Ann dolls look very cute, they are another thing I've never seen except on the internet. I look upon buying vintage dolls and books as being eco-friendly..... unless they find a new home, they would end up in landfill. Well, that is my excuse and I'm sticking to it...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that excuse Jenann! Very sensible and oh so fun!!!

      Delete
  6. I just looked for The Most Wonderful Doll in the Worls on Amozon UK...... the only copy left is priced at £773.41 - close to $1000, so I think I might just go on looking for the second most wonderful doll in the world and buy her instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Goodness!!! Can you imagine that? I honestly have no idea what they cost on these shores but am sure it is MUCH more reasonable...mine in fact was a library sale bargain buy at $1. I'll keep my eyes open for another copy with you in mind. Fingers crossed, natalie jo

      Delete