Saturday, March 30, 2013

Just in the Nick of Time.....

 With only one day left to the month of March, I am happy to announce the snowflake garland was finally replaced with a far more entertaining and colorful string of buttons.
 
 Soon after a hint of Easter was added in the form of bitty basket bounties sent my way by the most kindred of spirits.
 
 And so all that remained to re-set my FUNctional space for the month was to make a book selection. Thanks to the delightful imagination of Beatrix Potter this was quite easy to do, for within the pages of The Tale of Two Bad Mice can be found a wonderful story of dollhouse adventure.
  
 It takes place in the most beautiful of  houses belonging to the dolls Lucinda and Jane. One day while the two dolls are out and about Potter conspires to have the house invaded by some very hungry and  rambunctious mice.
 
 Now if, like me, you happen to be a fan of Beatrix Potter and  this book happens to find it's way into your hands, lucky you!!! You are in for a real treat. Bar hoping on over the England, this is by far the best look see at Potter's home furnishings, and gardens you will get.
 
 More often than not the book demonstrates how closely she looked to the world around her as inspiration for her illustrations. While the red brick dollhouse displayed at Hill Top Farm may not be the exact model for Lucinda's and Jane's.....
 
.....much of the food and furnishings contained within it were!
 
 My favorite illustrations in the book, however, have always been the ones in which I catch a glimpse of Jane, the sweet wooden doll. For years I dreamt of having one similar and then one day I did!
 
A Wooden Polly doll...or so it said on her torso!
 
 Discovered  on the dark, dingy shelves of a New Hampshire thrift shop it was love at first sight. Goodness, how could anyone have resisted those three little curls.
 
A bit more information is "tattooed" on her back in case anyone out there is interested in searching out a  Polly Shorrock doll of their own.
 
She comes highly recommended for such sweetness is more than likely to put a smile on your face!
 


9 comments:

  1. I'm in love with your doll. Isn't she gorgeous and dressed to perfection. I like the way she is constructed and typical of me I felt there must be someone with a lathe who could turn those wooden body parts and you could then piece them together in a similar way and start your own little 'Jane' production line. With your painting skills I'm sure you could make an exact copy of the Beatrix original. Food for thought!! Wishing you and the family a very happy Easter Natalie Jo. Eli x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! We are kindred spirits in so many ways! Erin :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie Jo, Of course I had to immediately order the book about Beatrix Potter's beloved Lake Country! I can't wait to see more pictures of her Hilltop Farm. I love your Jane too with her little painted heart!
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely post....your Jane doll is wonderful. I too love the works of Beatrix Potter. Her books were always a favorite at the library as a young girl. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I love Beatrix Potter and her sweet home in the Lake District-- that is a fantastic book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your post. Beatrix Potter was my baby sitter! I would be left with my full collection of her little books whilst my mother disappeared upstairs to make the beds and so forth. I remember telling my teddy bear stories to go with the pictures before I could read.
    Have you seen E. & L. Linders' book, 'The Art of Beatrix Potter?' It is full of reproductions of her art from childhood on and well worth time spent reading it.
    Your doll is so sweet. I just looked up Polly Shorrock dolls and, with import to the UK they are probably beyond my means just now but.....!
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Polly Shorrock doll! I have one dressed in blue. They can be very pricey so you had a great find! As always your photos are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have the most darling blog! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the book Sophia wanted us to read today...as we were in the midst of dollhouse fun. She did NOT want to be compared to the two bad mice who made such a mess...so she was diligent in straightening the little rooms:) I love everything about this treasured book!

    ReplyDelete