Saturday, August 31, 2013

Racketty Revelry

 I can't imagine a better choice for my August book than Frances Hodgson Burnett's Racketty-Packetty House. It's a charming romp behind the scenes of a young child's nursery, complete with fairies, mice, and even a real life princess. Content, however, played second fiddle to the title for me as our house has begun to take on quite the "racketty-packetty" air this month. 
 
 Don't get me wrong, work on project "Cottage Quest"
is still very much under way what with the painting of...
 
 this...
 
to that...
 
 and the other.
 
 It's just that in addition we've had to add in quite a bit of back to school shopping...
 
 and college bound doings into the mix as well.
The end result, now as August draws to a close, is I'm afraid nothing to write home about. In fact, if anything, our day to day living environment is even farther away from "summer cottage living" than it was a month ago.
 
But, and I remind myself of this daily, when I took this on I knew it was not going to be a quick fix. I also knew there would be many steps involved and that they would more than likely follow the 3 forward one back pattern. What I forgot, however, was to take time to enjoy some of my favorite things along the way.
 
 So I grabbed a cuppa (thanks mom for the new mug with the oh so appropriate message!)
 
 I welcomed a new friend into my world (thanks to MOJO and it's wonderful supply of Budkins, an amazing kissing cousin line of dolls to the Woodettes!)
 
 And I refreshed myself in the joys of making French knots.
 
 All combined it made for a lovely tea time that restored
my energy,
my enthusiasm,
and
my faith in happy endings. 
 
So now perhaps on second thought, the content of Racketty-Packetty House is important...especially the part where the princess says,
"Your house shall be mended and papered and painted and made as lovely as ever."
And it was!!!
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. That little snap of painting peeks curiosity. And does the princess from Rackety-Packetty make house calls?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That little snap of painting peeks curiosity. And does the princess from Rackety-Packetty make house calls?

    ReplyDelete