Friday, December 4, 2009

Out with the New Agenda!


This is me. The me that still had her milk teeth and had yet to create even one agenda. Both of which I wish were still true! Let me say that the excitement of losing one's baby teeth is definitely NOT repeated when one must part with a permanent tooth as an adult. For one thing, the tooth fairy does not visit you and leave shiny coins under your pillow! Instead you practically move into your dentist's office and contribute abundantly to his coffer. And as for those agendas. . . . . all the comfort and confidence I had acquired by following my carefully scripted plan for the months leading up to Christmas took a dramatic nosedive in direct proportion to my escalating dental dilemma. It seemed I had set myself up for failure and yet another hassle filled holiday season. How was I ever going to complete everything on all those lists I had made? The answer was actually quite simple, I wasn't. And so I tossed them out. . . . .
. . . . .it felt really good! Which lead me to go upstairs and begin throwing out a bunch of other clutter and in the process look what I found. It's the skirt from my picture, made for me by my grandmother many, many years ago. She used to get these little square fabric samples in the mail that she saved for me to play with when I was at her house. By the time I was five the collection was large enough for her to compile it into a patchwork skirt for me to wear on my birthday. I felt like a princess in it. It's been with me ever since, popping up from time to time in the various attics of homes I've lived in. With a "use it or lose it" frame of mind I decided to put some creative inspiration into this most recent discovery and. . . . .

. . . . .VOILA! A new sewing machine cover! My featherweight has been in dire need of a cover for ages, in fact, I'm positive the task to create one has been on more than one list or another of mine. And here, with nothing more than a simple ribbon tied up near the waist band the job is done.

If you want to see what else is done you'll have to peek around the corner into my bedroom. . . . .


. . . .where I've staked a claimed and created an extension of the sewing nook. I've decided to call this new area my "cozy corner." Not to say I've cheated dear hubby out of his fair share. He's got an equal portion of space on the other side for his treasures. I affectionately refer to his area as the "black hole" which should give some indication as to why you won't see a picture of it here.


And yes. . . . I did finally reclaim the bottom portion of the bookshelf and made a hefty donation to our library's book sale in the process.

Hubby's old computer cabinet has become the perfect spot to store a whole assortment of craft supplies. It's neat enough now, but great to know those doors can be closed to conceal any piles that do develop over time!


A doll's hutch discarded by my daughter was destined for the attic but, having cleared some piles from atop the file cabinet, I found a much happier role for it as storage for all the little Lilies in progress.

I had intended to carry my organizing frenzy over into other areas of the house in preparation of holiday decorating, but sans agenda I'm now free of such restraints. It doesn't mean I'm always happy about it. I do wish I'd gotten my dining room painted, I feel bad about the lack of attention I've given to stocking my Esty shop with Christmas items, and I hope you'll forgive me for not getting to the 3rd giveaway I had said I would hold this year. Painting has been limited to the Lilies, Etsy listings are for reserved custom orders only, and the only giving in the works involves Christmas presents. . . . .
. . . .with one exception. . . . .Lily Olive. She was made up in a batch of Lilies but not selected for purchase. Planning to put her in the shop for Christmas I added the finishing touches. In doing so, however, I found I couldn't bear to part with her and so I decided give her to myself!

7 comments:

  1. Natalie Jo~
    It was so fun to peek in on your blog and catch up with what you've been up to. I have been out of blogland for sometime now, trying to get some balance back in my life. I have missed so many things that have gone on here. Your Birthday and your poor tooth extraction! I hope you are feeling better. Dental work is just the worst!!!

    What a lovely post! All of your organizing looks so wonderful. And your beautiful skirt that your Grandma made for you, what a treasure! What a great idea you had, to use it as a sewing machine cover. It's so cute! All of your new Lilies look just adorable! I hope the rest of your non-agenda holiday preparations go smoothly!

    (~.~)~Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie Jo...every time you post, it is a gift!! Thank you so very much!
    I am enjoying your pictures so much and can see why you wouldn't be able to part with Lily Olive.
    :o)
    You look soooo happy in that picture. Such a wonderful thing to still have that skirt. it looks great as a cover, too.
    Happy Holidays!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Natalie, would you please come to my house after the holidays and help me organize my studio? I can't even feel creative in there anymore. The heaps and piles of "stuff" have taken over! I need to rearrange and reorganize and start over!

    I'm sorry about your dental escapade but I do think that having to toss your to-do list away as a result might be a good thing. It's nice to be rid of such things from time to time and have the freedom to do what your heart desires. I find simplicity in day to day life to be the key to creativity! :)

    So, first weekend of January work for you?? Hee Hee!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been so busy! I am so impressed with all you have done in your sewing area, it looks so cozy, happy and creative! I always find it easier to work when I can actually find things!

    And I am SO glad you keeping Lily Olive! She is wonderful and needs to be in your sewing area!

    Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Natalie Jo, I'm so glad there are others who have been too busy to post recently as I've been feeling very guilty at my absence. I love what you did with your pretty patchwork skirt, what a wonderful photo and keepsake. Your home looks so neat and organised though I'm glad you have a hubby who likes 'black holes' as I have one with similar tastes. Lucky you lost that nasty tooth just in time and now you are all fixed up for some serious munching over the festive season. Wishing you a happy family holiday. Love Eli

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Natalie Jo,

    Our holidays were likewise rushed and so many things went undone this year, and so, I completely agree with your sentiments and understand why, in the end, you decided to give yourself a gift!
    Good for you! She is a lovely one and an example of your fine talents. It is important to keep some of what you create so you can visualize growth and have a record of the handmade items you loved enough to make and sell and keep, too!
    I am just catching up reading blogs - too busy over the holidays to do much with my own or read others - and I am entertained by your words, photographs and stories!
    I love that you still have the skirt made for you by your grandmother and that you have found a creative way to show it off and provide cover for your featherweight, too.
    What lovely memories you have of your gramma! And what a darling child you were!
    I love that you call your husband's bedroom territory, the balck hole! LOL!
    xxx
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  7. That computer cabinet is perfect! And Lily Olive is very cute

    ReplyDelete