Friday, March 19, 2010

A Tisket, A Tasket

The lingering influence of The Forgotten Garden combined with beautiful sixty degree weather and my discovery of a hidden stash of morning glory seeds has had my hands hankering to work in the floral realm. Considering spring has yet to officially arrived and that weather here in New England has a devilish track record of surprising us with March snowstorms, I've promised to refrain myself from from all dirt digging activities until April. So instead I turned my attention to making more of these little flower pins. In order to have something to arrange the bitty blossoms in I then finished up a flower basket quilt square I had lingering around and. . . ta dah. . .


. . . . . the Tisket Tasket Pincushion Basket was created!

Because it was so much fun I'm now in the process of making a batch of them to start listing in the shop. It was while stitching up tiny circles that my little friend Lucy came round. Greetings were followed by a bit of chit chat. . . . .our fine weather, her plans for spring cleaning, and the discovery of a new favorite tea blend. Eventually, however, the true purpose of her visit was revealed. "I've a favor to ask of you," she said quite sheepishly.

"Do you remember the new pillow Lily Red made for herself?" she continued. "She was ever so pleased with the lace trim work and proudly displayed it for me to see. Lovely as it was, I cannot help but be haunted by the image of her bed barren of any other comforts. Even a little wooden doll should have a coverlet to cozy up in. I really want to make one for her and was hoping you would entertain the idea of helping me pick some fabric out for the job."
And so we were off. . . . .

. . . . . to the fabric shop where Lucy had quite a dilemma choosing something just right. There were ever so many prints to pick from and she would have liked them all!

I on the other hand never have a problem making selections. I find you can't go wrong with a bit more gingham added to your stash so I snatched up a yard or so along with this delightful black and periwinkle bluebonnets. I've decided to consider them lupines however in honor of Miss Rumphius, a favorite book by Barbara Cooney. My second red work penny square was also waiting there for me since I missed it's debut during my bout with the sniffles.

In the end Lucy made out just fine and toted home quite a handsome bundle. With a quick, "Tootles to you miss natalie jo," she was away through the door of Boggs Cottage anxious to get to work.

5 comments:

  1. I love the flower pincushions. The colors are just right!
    Can't wait to see the new bed covers...
    Maybe next time we can peek in the window and see what's going on!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your wooden doll! The Dollhouse looks so sweet sitting there on your shelf :) Can't wait to see what you do with it♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, what a talent you have Natailie Jo, I adore your 'Tisket Tasket Pincushion Basket'. A real inspiration and as always you've chosen glorious colours. Sorry to here you've been under the weather... do you use that expression in the States? We are all so ready for some warm spring weather here in England to banish the bugs but we've just heard that we can expect snow for Easter...ugh!...just what I don't need. Wishing you and yours a warm Eastertide with some good garden days. Eli x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the girly pin cushion on your etsy site. And I was out there digging up my garden here in Nantucket ,although it wasen't as warm as it was there. Then this week....20 deeeeegreeeees this am! Oh well...I had to turn the soil as it's a brand new garden....but I can't wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your beautiful pincushion should feature on Etsy! Just gorgeous!
    xxx
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete