I decided my red velvet tuffet needed some distressing. Not a lot, just enough to make it look as if it had a history to it. So with tuffet in one hand and gruff sandpaper in the other I plopped myself down in front of the telly to catch up on BBC's Sherlock. In the time it took Watson and Sherlock to reunite, solve the mystery, and save London I discovered sandpaper had little to no effect on velvet.
No fear, I'd recently acquired a tiny dremel set that came with an assortment of attachments to file and sand with. The telly went off, the power switch went on, and.....
....the distressing got a bit out of control!
Worn is one thing, moth eaten something else entirely.
Some of the tying threads even became casualties in the process. Not good.
But now, several days later, I have a new best friend in the distressing department.
Can you see his work in progress here? Maybe just a bit? I'm finding it difficult to take close ups of the work. Whether it's the velvet of the vibrant red I'm not sure. I just know it looks a whole lot better in person and I'm hoping you'll take my word for it!
Anyway, meet Mr. Razor Blade. He's quite the handy fellow.
Maybe you can see the results of his employment a tad better here.
Worn velvet achieved I'm on to my next case...aging the color.
Logically I guessing fading it in the sunlight would be the best bet but since the sun is currently hidden with falling snow I might as well explore some other routes in the meantime.
First up...a tea bath.
The kids saw it this morning and thought I was back to making my strange Polish fare.
"Yep," I said "It's Velvet Soup!"