Friday, June 13, 2014


 All was going well in the sun room studio.
 Even a bit of progress had been made in the velvet cushion department.
But then...
Yellow pollen is in abundance this year and it's either keep the windows closed and simmer away in the heat or open them and find a layer of this on everything you touch. Eventually I had to put my painting and sewing away until it passes as no Lucy wants a yellow stained pinafore and velvet  proved to be a literal pollen magnet!
 So the question arose...what to do with my time?
The domestic goddess answer would have been to dust and vacuum 24/7 in an attempt to keep ahead of the yellow plague but let me tell you that gets old fast!
Luckily I received a request for something that involved a mess of a different sort.
The jumble you see above was a project from way last fall. I had spent a couple days taking photos and notes of all the steps involved in making pincushions and pin toppers. It was actually a lot of fun to do and turning a discombobulated work space like the one above...
 ...into this kind of an arrangement is the type of cleaning up that makes me smile.
 And I even got some goodies made in the process!
The plan was to then take all those notes and photos and turn them into tutorials. Sounded good at the time but the nitty gritty of it once I got on the computer was way beyond my capability! It was much easier to just pretend I had never even started.
 But then this week I got a request.
Did I have a pattern for the yo-yo pincushions?
Well, yup I did...sort of.
My notes were still fairly organized, my computer had a mass of photos ready to go, and if I wasn't mistaken a spark of motivation was making itself known. That combined with free time on my hands led me to spend my week with this as my view.
 Organizing the images and the text really wasn't that difficult in the end.
 Gathering the skills together to put it all into PDF formats on the other hand, was another story and one which, were it not for the generous assistance provided to me by dear hubby and child #1,
 would not have been told.
Oodles of thanks!!!
I promise to make you guys as many cookies as you want.
The really good news, however, is that it rained today.
Buckets in fact.
And as it poured down
and puddled at the end of the road
   so too did the pollen!
Looks like could be work as usual next week...


  1. Oh dear, just look at that pollen! I can well imagine it would be a disaster when painting. Glad you managed to find something else to keep your creative hands busy.

  2. Hoping for more rain later today as the last batch only cleared up out temporarily. It can't be much longer now. In the meantime there are plenty of weeds awaiting some busy hands to give them a firm yank!

  3. Such a delightful post, Natalie Jo; and the glimpses of your tutorial look great! Hoping for pollen-free days ahead :-)



    1. Each day seems to be an improvement Beth! Now it's just up to me to get to the business of clearing the last bits out of the house...